Some carbon monoxide alarms sold by Amazon and eBay have been taken offline after failing safety tests. The Consumer watchdog Which? said some of the alarms seemed identical to ones that had failed tests in 2016.
One of the alarms, the Topolek GEHS007AW CO alarm costing £14.99 and listed as a bestseller on Amazon – failed to detect the gas in more than 80% of the tests conducted by the watchdog.
Which! called on the Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS) to take a “more active role” in market surveillance to identify products on sale that pose a potential safety risk.
A Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy spokesman said: “The Government’s top priority is to keep people safe, which is why goods being sold in the UK must meet some of the strictest safety laws in the world. The Office for Product Safety and Standards works with local authority Trading Standards and border force to ensure dangerous products do not reach UK consumers. The evidence provided by Which? will be reviewed by the office and action will be taken as appropriate.”
Duncan is a technology professional with over 20 years experience of working in various IT roles. He has a interest in cyber security, and has a wide range of other skills in radio, electronics and telecommunications.