Project management tools aren’t just limited to project managers with large teams and huge budgets; they’re a basic necessity for anyone looking to handle tasks and projects. However, not everyone can afford the cost of a project management tool.
A project management tool can cost you up to $30 per month per user, and many of us are students, interns, or individuals with a limited budget. Not all of us can afford these expensive tools. But don’t worry, we will introduce you to some of the best free task and project management tools options available in the market. Before we get started, lets understand who can make the most use out of free project management tools:
- Student: If you’re a student navigating the maze of coursework, group projects, and extracurricular activities, project management software can be your trusted ally. It helps you stay organized, meet deadlines, and equips you with skills that will prove invaluable in your future career.
- Intern: As an intern, you’re often entrusted with managing specific projects within a company. Free tools can make it easier for you to collaborate with teams and showcase your ability to handle responsibilities effectively.
- Small Nonprofit Institution: Nonprofits, often working with limited budgets, can use free project management software to allocate resources more efficiently, plan events, and manage volunteers effectively, without the added expense of premium tools.
- Small Business Owner: If you’re an entrepreneur or a small business owner, you know that you wear many hats. Free project management software can help you keep track of tasks, deadlines, and budgets, enabling you to focus on growing your business.
- Beginner: If you’re new to project management, free software provides a low-risk entry point to understand the principles and practices of effective project management without the financial commitment of expensive solutions.
- Individuals with Personal Project: Whether you’re planning a wedding, renovating your home, or organizing a personal blog, free project management software can be your go-to tool to keep everything on track.
- Freelancer: Freelancers often handle multiple clients and projects simultaneously. Free tools can assist you in managing your workload, setting priorities, and maintaining professionalism in your work.
Of course a free project management tool is something anyone can benefit from, so let’s dive into the exciting world of popular options. The following are the go-to tools that can make your project management journey smoother. Whether you’re balancing student life, internship duties, or simply looking for a productivity boost, these tools have got you covered.
Popular Free Project Management Tools
1. Kerika: Collaborative Project Management Tool For All
Kerika is like your trusty go-to free project management tool. This user-friendly tool keeps tasks in check, lets you share files effortlessly, and makes real-time project management a breeze. And the best part? The free plan includes all features of Kerika.
Unlike other tools like Trello, Clickup, and Asana, Kerika’s free plan doesn’t restrict you from using any of its features. So, if you’re all about getting stuff done with a dash of collaboration, Kerika’s got your back!
Here’s what Kerika’s free plan offers you:
- Plan for Individuals – Free For people working by themselves: If you’re a solo project manager or a freelancer, Kerika has you covered. You can use Kerika for free, and it allows you to have as many visitors as you like. This is perfect for individuals who want to streamline their projects efficiently without the need for team members.
- Plan for Academic & Nonprofit – Free For students, teachers, and small nonprofits: Kerika recognizes the importance of education and nonprofit endeavors. Under this plan, students, teachers, and small nonprofit organizations can benefit from Kerika’s features. You can have up to 10 team members and unlimited visitors, making it a valuable resource for collaborative learning and nonprofit project management.
- Unlimited Visitors: You can add as many stakeholders, partners, and supporters you want as Visitors in your projects for free.
- Unlimited Tasks: Kerika helps you stay organized with an unlimited number of tasks at your disposal. This ensures you can manage every aspect of your projects without restrictions.
- Unlimited Project Boards: Create and manage project boards without limits. Whether you’re coordinating multiple educational initiatives or nonprofit campaigns, Kerika gives you the space you need.
- Unlimited File Storage (Google Drive Support): Access comprehensive storage capabilities, including seamless integration with Google Drive. Store and share project files and resources in your own Google account where they are safe.
- Whiteboard: Kerika’s Whiteboard is a dynamic space where your ideas come to life and collaboration takes center stage. It’s not just a blank canvas; it’s a platform for brainstorming, planning, and visualizing your projects in an interactive and engaging way. And you can create as many as you want with the free plan.
What’s Included in Trello’s Free Plan:
- Up to 10 Boards per Workspace: Trello allows you to manage multiple projects by providing up to 10 boards within a single workspace. But if you want to create more boards, you have to buy a paid plan.
- Unlimited Storage (limited to 10MB per file): You can attach and store essential project files without worrying about running out of space. But if you want to store bigger files, you have to buy a paid plan.
- 250 Workspace Command Runs per Month: These command runs help you automate routine tasks and streamline your workflow within your workspace.
Asana’s Basic Plan is a good launching pad for individuals and teams who are taking their first steps into the world of project management. With a price tag of zero dollars, it is budget-friendly and has essential features to help you get organized and stay on top of your tasks.
What’s Included in Asana’s Basic Plan:
- Unlimited File Storage (100MB per file): Store and share project-related files, documents, and resources with generous storage space.But if you want to store bigger files, you have to buy a paid plan.
- Unlimited Tasks: There are no limits on the number of tasks you can create, making it easy to manage your to-dos effectively.
- Unlimited Projects: Whether you’re juggling one project or a dozen, you can create and organize as many projects as you need.
- Unlimited Messages: Communicate seamlessly with your team members within Asana, ensuring everyone is on the same page.
- Unlimited Activity Log: Keep a detailed record of all activities related to your projects for comprehensive tracking and accountability.
ClickUp’s Free Plan is designed with personal productivity in mind, offering a treasure trove of features to help you stay organized and achieve your goals. Whether you’re managing personal projects, to-dos, or creative endeavors, this plan has everything you need and it’s free forever.
Key Features of ClickUp’s Free Plan:
- 100MB Storage: Store your important files and documents with up to 100MB of storage. Afterwards you will have to enroll for a paid plan.
- Unlimited Tasks: There are no limits to the number of tasks you can create and manage. Stay on top of your to-dos, goals, and projects effortlessly.
- Unlimited Free Plan Members: Collaborate with friends, family, or colleagues by inviting an unlimited number of members to join your projects and share in your achievements.
- Two-Factor Authentication: Ensure the security of your data with two-factor authentication, adding an extra layer of protection to your ClickUp account.
- Collaborative Docs: Create, edit, and collaborate on documents in real time. Whether it’s a shared agenda, brainstorming session, or a collaborative essay, ClickUp’s got you covered.
Todoist’s Free Plan is tailored for beginners who want to dip their toes into the world of efficient task management without any financial commitment. It provides essential features to help you organize your tasks and stay on top of your to-dos.
Remember that while Todoist’s Free Plan offers a great starting point, if your task management needs evolve and you require additional features or more projects, you have the option to upgrade to one of Todoist’s paid plans in the future.
Key Features of Todoist’s Free Plan:
- 5 Active Projects: Keep your tasks organized and separate them into up to five active projects. Whether it’s work, personal, or a side project, Todoist helps you stay on track.
- 5 MB File Uploads: Attach and share important files and documents with a total upload limit of 5MB. This feature ensures you have the resources you need at your fingertips.
- 3 Filter Views: Customize your task views with up to three filter views. Easily sort and focus on tasks based on due dates, priorities, or labels.
- 1 Week Activity History: Keep tabs on your task management journey with a one-week activity history. Review your completed tasks, changes, and progress.
In summary, these are five of the finest project management tools currently on the market. While we highly recommend Kerika for its robust free plan and comprehensive features, it’s always a good idea to explore the various options available to find the perfect fit for your unique needs. Whether you’re a student, a small business owner, or a project management enthusiast, there’s a tool out there waiting to elevate your productivity and streamline your projects. Happy project management!
I am one of the editors here at www.systemtek.co.uk I am a UK based technology professional, with an interest in computer security and telecoms.